Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Salerno and the Amalfi Coast

Ciao tutti! I have been in Salerno for just under two weeks now and it has been a great experience for me. I think my language skills have improved some and I know I have a better understanding of some aspects of Italian culture.

Some of the highlights during the past two weeks or so have been sailing along the Amalfi Coast which overlooks the Mediterranean Sea, visiting Amalfi and Ravello, seeing Napoli (Naples), speaking Italian with Raffaele and Olga, and eating some of the best Italian food ever! Southern Italy is the birthplace of many of the most popular Italian cuisine dishes throughout the world. For example, the use of tomatoes and tomato sauce, certain types of pasta, and many seafood dishes all originated in Southern Italy and Napoli. And of course, I can not forget to mention la Pizza which was created in Napoli! It is perhaps one of the most well known Italian foods in the world, maybe only rivaling spaghetti... I have enjoyed eating pizza, pasta and seafood dishes such as: pasta with clams and mussels; fried anchovies; and octopus and squid. Delicious!

The sailing has been great and the weather has been just as good, 70-75°F during the day with sun and blue skies. Not bad for nearly November. I think I even have a little tan going...

One of the only things that I did not care for too much was my day trip to Napoli. While I didn't see any mafioso looking guys, well maybe one, or get lost under tons of garbage (the city has had a huge garbage problem for the last 2 years of so, due to the Mafia and the governments inability to respond), I found the city to be very busy, hectic, crowded, and not very clean. If you can look past all that and spend some decent time in the city, I am sure one would be able to appreciate and better understand the Neapolitan culture and lifestyle. Obviously for me, half a day was not enough time...

Tomorrow I leave for Rome where I will most likely post from next. La vita รจ bella (life is beautiful) and I am loving it!

Ciao,
NPL

Below are a few pictures:


View of Salerno


The beach at Vietri sul Mare


Sailing to Amalfi


One of the many little towns perched on the coast


AMALFI, ITALY


A garden in RAVELLO, ITALY


A view from NAPOLI, ITALY

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BELLA!